Abe Lincoln Now DETC
Abraham Lincoln U in Los Angeles, CA joins the ranks of DETC-accredited law schools (Taft, Northwestern California and Concord being the others).

Quote:Abraham Lincoln University Accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council

January 14, 2011 – On behalf of the Abraham Lincoln University faculty and staff, it is a pleasure to announce that the university is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council. The Accrediting Commission is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency and is a recognized member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
. . .
Roy Winter
President and CEO
http://www.alu.edu/

At $7500/yr for four years, relatively inexpensive too. Are convenience and economy worth the long-term downside of no ABA accreditation? Students must pass the FYLSX and state bar exams, then are limited primarily to practice in California.

(01-23-2011, 07:14 PM)Don Dresden Wrote: Abraham Lincoln U in Los Angeles, CA joins the ranks of DETC-accredited law schools (Taft, Northwestern California and Concord being the others).

NWCU is a fine online law school and CBE registered (but not CBE accredited), but it's not DETC (unless you know something we don't). Big Grin And at $2,850 per year it's way cheaper than even Lincoln.

See the list of various registered and accredited correspondence and online law schools. Only in California could they split the baby so many different ways.
In most places (California may be the sole exception) you cannot take the bar exam unless you graduate from an ABA approved program and the ABA does not approve Distance Education programs.

I am not 100% if there are other states that allow this but I know California is an exception.

Its a stupid rule really. But law is like that.

But then again we already had this conversation.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
So few will even pass the bar, or baby bar, that it is almost a moot point. Even with that, there are no law jobs out there worth anything. Even graduates of ABA schools can't get a job and many just never even end up working in law. I work with two people who have passed the bar exam after graduating from ABA schools. They do not work in anything remotely close to law. It is by their choice.

(01-24-2011, 12:21 PM)Virtual Bison Wrote: In most places (California may be the sole exception) you cannot take the bar exam unless you graduate from an ABA approved program and the ABA does not approve Distance Education programs.

I am not 100% if there are other states that allow this but I know California is an exception.

Its a stupid rule really. But law is like that.

But then again we already had this conversation.