Gollin's Tit in the Wringer
Gollin seems particularly brave.

http://www.degreediscussion.com/forums/v...4&start=15

It'd be nice if they could take down some of the others including the website owner.
Fort Bragg Wrote:Gollin seems particularly brave.

http://www.degreediscussion.com/forums/v...4&start=15

It'd be nice if they could take down some of the others including the website owner.

Have you noticed that George Gollin (George Dana Gollin, George D. Gollin) and John Bear can only respond to people with their passive agressive nonsense. Lets see, you speak with broken English, you misspelled this word and that word and your sentance structure is all wrong. That is consistantly the extent of their retorts when responding to blog entries. They completely ignore the context of that which they are being called on and attempt to answer as though they are some pissed off politician who cannot think of a better come back.

George Gollin (George Dana Gollin, George D. Gollin) and John Bear act like second graders in a school playground. Continually finding fault with the manner and extent the dumb asses are being told off. It's like they are saying, oh yeah, you are fat and ugly too.

In psychology, psychological projection (or projection bias) is a defense mechanism in which one attributes one’s own unacceptable or unwanted thoughts or/and emotions to others. Projection reduces anxiety by allowing the expression of the unwanted subconscious impulses/desires without letting the conscious mind recognize them. The theory was developed by Sigmund Freud and further refined by his daughter Anna Freud, and for this reason, it is sometimes referred to as "Freudian Projection.

Psychopathology
In psychopathology, projection is an especially commonly used defense mechanism in people with certain personality disorders:

Paranoid personality disorder
Narcissistic personality disorder
Antisocial personality disorder
Psychopathy

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder defined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV-R), the diagnostic classification system used in the United States, as "a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and a lack of empathy."

The narcissist is described as turning inward for gratification rather than depending on others and as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power and prestige. Narcissistic personality disorder can be caused by receiving excessive praise and criticism in childhood, particularly from parental figures.

Paranoid personality disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis characterized by paranoia and a pervasive, long-standing suspiciousness and generalized mistrust of others. (DSM-IV) For a person's personality to be considered a personality disorder, an enduring pattern of characteristic maladaptive behaviors, thinking and personality traits must be present from the onset of adolescence or early adulthood. Additionally, these behaviors, traits and thinking must be present to the extent that they cause significant difficulties in relationships, employment and other facets of functioning.

Those with paranoid personality disorder are hypersensitive, are easily slighted, and habitually relate to the world by vigilant scanning of the environment for clues or suggestions to validate their prejudicial ideas or biases. They tend to be guarded and suspicious and have quite constricted emotional lives. Their incapacity for meaningful emotional involvement and the general pattern of isolated withdrawal often lend a quality of schizoid isolation to their life experience.

Antisocial personality disorder (APD) is a mental disorder defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual: "The essential feature for the diagnosis is a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood due to the lack of love and care for the child."[1] Deceit and manipulation are considered essential features of the disorder. Therefore, it is essential in making the diagnosis to collect material from sources other than the individual being diagnosed. Also, the individual must be age 18 or older as well as have a documented history of a conduct disorder before the age of 15.

Psychopathy is a psychological construct that describes chronic immoral and antisocial behavior.[1] The term is often used interchangeably with sociopathy[2]. Psychopathy has been the most studied of any personality disorder. Today the term can legitimately be used in two ways. One is in the legal sense, "psychopathic personality disorder" under the Mental Health Act 1983 of the UK. The other use is as a severe form of the antisocial or dissociative personality disorder as exclusively defined by the Psychopathy Checklist-Revised (PCL-R).[3] The term "psychopathy" is often confused with psychotic disorders. It is estimated that approximately one percent of the general population are psychopaths. They are overrepresented in prison systems, politics, law enforcement agencies, law firms, and in the media.

The psychopath is defined by a continual seeking of psychological gratification in criminal, sexual, or aggressive impulses and the inability to learn from past mistakes. Using Freudian terminology, the psychopathic personality occurs when the ego can't mediate between the id and the super-ego, thus allowing the id to run off the pleasure principle, and the super-ego has no control over the actions of the ego. In other words, individuals with this disorder gain satisfaction through their antisocial behavior as well as lack a conscience.

Psychopathy is frequently co-morbid with other psychological disorders (particularly narcissistic personality disorder). The psychopath differs slightly from the sociopath, and may differ even more so from an individual with an antisocial personality disorder diagnosis. Nevertheless, the three terms are frequently used interchangeably. While nearly all psychopaths have antisocial personality disorder, only some individuals with antisocial personality disorder are psychopaths. Many psychologists believe that psychopathy falls on a spectrum of pathological narcissism, ranging from narcissistic personality disorder on the low end, malignant narcissism in the middle, and psychopathy on the high end. An almost all-pervasive misconception is that psychopaths are doomed to a life of violence and crime. It is possible for psychopaths to become successful in many lines of work. Psychopathy is frequently mistaken with other similar personality disorders, such as dissocial personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, and schizoid personality disorder (as well as others).

It is also important to note that psychopathy is a syndrome or a psychological construct, while antisocial personality disorder is a diagnosis.
g-gollin Wrote:A "saucier" is a French chef who makes sauces. Recall the character called "Chef" in "Apocalypse Now."

Isn't "gollin" a Yiddish word for "a complete asshole"?
I want to be objective here.

There's no doubt that Gollin has contributed and still contributes some valuable work in exposing diploma mills and terribly substandard schools. This is good for everyone concerned with education, even those supporting unaccredited schools. I'd say, particularly those supporting unaccredited schools - just think about it.

However, although I don't agree with the lengthy discourse on psychopathology presented by Brian Crawford, it's well known that every passionate crusader is driven by deep, unsatisfied personal needs. The "cause" is only a facade, a way, a channel through which those deeper needs may be satisfied temporarily, but never completely or permanently and that's why the person has to continue his crusade with ever increasing fervor. The crusader is not consciously aware of this game he is playing with himself - he cannot connect the dots....(lol, lol, lol). The game would be spoiled or completely ruined if he became consciously aware of it.

There are two main reasons why people play such games with themselves: (a) There are deep seated emotional needs seeking desperately an outlet so that some of the bottled up energy can be expended. If such an outlet is not found, the person may virtually explode, suffer a breakdown or go completely cuckoo; (b) the person holds beliefs (both conscious and unconscious) of personal lack and/or powerlessness and also extreme vulnerability in some specific domains (he may be quite confident and powerful in other domains though). As a result, he doesn't feel capable of facing directly and dealing with his real problems (may be internal, external or both). And/or feels that facing directly those problems would cause him extreme pain that the conscious self could not handle. Therefore, the only solution is the temporary satisfaction (a sort of appeasement) of these pressing needs through projection - what psychologists sometimes call "displacement". The internal needs are projected onto the "cause".

In Gollin's case the signs of projection and displacement are more obvious than in other similar cases in which the camouflage is almost impenetrable. His involvement is highly personal and that is evident. I would also say that, as it is very common in such cases, the vicious attacks he's been receiving have drawn him even deeper into this and made him more passionate on a personal level. This unconscious game is much more satisfactory when there are clear cut, black and white, distinctions or a demonization of the other side. Gollin's attackers have graciously provided that.

All this doesn't mean that crusaders don't provide a service, a service that probably wouldn't be provided otherwise. And Gollin does that, he does provide a service.

OK, let's play a game ourselves here. The game is "notice the signs that indicate Gollin is deeply involved in a personal, unconscious game of projection and displacement of deep personal needs". The game needs to be objective and matter-of-fact. Any kind of abuse, name calling, etc. would ruin it.
I just want to add here that I don't believe Gollin is a bad person, I do believe he is highly intelligent and has many abilities and talents.

I also believe that when he is able to connect the dots of his personal game, he'll be in a position to provide a much more effective, objective, all-inclusive and dispassionate service to the community regarding diploma mills and substandard education.
Someone Wrote:I just want to add here that I don't believe Gollin is a bad person, I do believe he is highly intelligent and has many abilities and talents.

Of course he's intelligent. It only took 15 people to prepare his dissertation instead of 30.

I think Gollin's greatest admirer is Gollin himslf. After having gone through a whole carerr as a nuclear physicist and having accomplished nothing greater than teaching intro undergrad courses, like a grad student, he is trying to make some kind of splash so the world remembers him for something more than what he is, unmemorable.
Quote:There's no doubt that Gollin has contributed and still contributes some valuable work in exposing diploma mills and terribly substandard schools. This is good for everyone concerned with education, even those supporting unaccredited schools. I'd say, particularly those supporting unaccredited schools - just think about it.

years back it was I who exposed a notorious mill, while all other triple Ph.D geniuses were still musing in the dark about fine points in the millists' propaganda.
All it took were a few emails & phone calls.
Did it land on my curriculum? No.
Do I brag about 'consulting with' anyone? No.
What's so special about these people?
A.A Mole University
B.A London Institute of Applied Research
B.Sc Millard Fillmore
M.A International Institute for Advanced Studies
Ph.D London Institute of Applied Research
Ph.D Millard Fillmore
Someone Wrote:I want to be objective here.

There's no doubt that Gollin has contributed and still contributes some valuable work in exposing diploma mills and terribly substandard schools. This is good for everyone concerned with education, even those supporting unaccredited schools. I'd say, particularly those supporting unaccredited schools - just think about it.

However, although I don't agree with the lengthy discourse on psychopathology presented by Brian Crawford, it's well known that every passionate crusader is driven by deep, unsatisfied personal needs. The "cause" is only a facade, a way, a channel through which those deeper needs may be satisfied temporarily, but never completely or permanently and that's why the person has to continue his crusade with ever increasing fervor. The crusader is not consciously aware of this game he is playing with himself - he cannot connect the dots....(lol, lol, lol). The game would be spoiled or completely ruined if he became consciously aware of it.

There are two main reasons why people play such games with themselves: (a) There are deep seated emotional needs seeking desperately an outlet so that some of the bottled up energy can be expended. If such an outlet is not found, the person may virtually explode, suffer a breakdown or go completely cuckoo; (b) the person holds beliefs (both conscious and unconscious) of personal lack and/or powerlessness and also extreme vulnerability in some specific domains (he may be quite confident and powerful in other domains though). As a result, he doesn't feel capable of facing directly and dealing with his real problems (may be internal, external or both). And/or feels that facing directly those problems would cause him extreme pain that the conscious self could not handle. Therefore, the only solution is the temporary satisfaction (a sort of appeasement) of these pressing needs through projection - what psychologists sometimes call "displacement". The internal needs are projected onto the "cause".

In Gollin's case the signs of projection and displacement are more obvious than in other similar cases in which the camouflage is almost impenetrable. His involvement is highly personal and that is evident. I would also say that, as it is very common in such cases, the vicious attacks he's been receiving have drawn him even deeper into this and made him more passionate on a personal level. This unconscious game is much more satisfactory when there are clear cut, black and white, distinctions or a demonization of the other side. Gollin's attackers have graciously provided that.

All this doesn't mean that crusaders don't provide a service, a service that probably wouldn't be provided otherwise. And Gollin does that, he does provide a service.

OK, let's play a game ourselves here. The game is "notice the signs that indicate Gollin is deeply involved in a personal, unconscious game of projection and displacement of deep personal needs". The game needs to be objective and matter-of-fact. Any kind of abuse, name calling, etc. would ruin it.

I am very aware of the fact that providing a diagnosis for George Gollin (George Dana Gollin, George D. Gollin) and his mental issue feeds into his need for people to be attacking him. That is why I merely provided a laundry list of possibilities which may or may not apply to George Gollin (George Dana Gollin, George D. Gollin) and his lack of self-love, low self-esteem and obvious need to lash out at others. George Gollin (George Dana Gollin, George D. Gollin) enjoys fault with others to make himself feel a tad bit better about himself. Now that is self-serving, serves no legitimate purpose other than passive aggressively saying, “I am better than you are.”

You made some valid points and it sounds like you provided a valid lay diagnosis of George Gollin (George Dana Gollin, George D. Gollin) and his many family problems, concerns about his wife being his a university administrator while he is a mere professor.

A person like George Gollin (George Dana Gollin, George D. Gollin) having so many personality and mental health problems, should not cast stones on others when he has so many burning issues about his own manhood, self-worth and low self-esteem that he feels like an important person, although a false sense, by way of attaching himself to the likes of John Bear, Alan Ezzell and others who appear to be successful in a field he is self-learning in.

As they say, those who live in glass houses should not cast stones.
Fort Bragg Wrote:
Someone Wrote:I just want to add here that I don't believe Gollin is a bad person, I do believe he is highly intelligent and has many abilities and talents.

Of course he's intelligent.  It only took 15 people to prepare his dissertation instead of 30.

I think Gollin's greatest admirer is Gollin himslf.  After having gone through a whole career as a nuclear physicist and having accomplished nothing greater than teaching intro undergrad courses, like a grad student, he is trying to make some kind of splash so the world remembers him for something more than what he is, unmemorable.

All kidding aside, Gollin is highly intelligent and holds a very respectable position in the academic world. He also has a very large ego, not unlike other DL luminaries like John Bear, Rich Douglas and Gus Sainz. He somehow seems to get some publicity for all his anti-mill efforts despite the low-profile nature of the topic.

That has caused many here and elsewhere to raise legitimate questions about his motivation. Is he really a crusader against degree mills or is he just out to promote George Gollin? Take a look at his posts. Unless he is ripping a questionable school, talking about SRU or attacking this forum, he doesn't even bother to post. I can't recall him ever having posted a positive comment about any DL school or program. You would think that out of all the schools that have come across the Gollin radar but been "cleared", he would made a positive comment on at least one. (e.g. "I have looked into ABC University and, with the assistance of associates, have determined that while they are unaccredited at this time, they are attempting to provide legitimate instruction. They show no signs of being a mill and may one day be on the road to accreditation.") This is something Bear did in the earlier editions of Bear's Guide to help differentiate between mills and legitimate unaccredited schools.
Quote:All kidding aside, Gollin is highly intelligent and holds a very respectable position in the academic world.

...and he is known to outsiders for trolling on online forums talking about distance education, which he has no direct expertise of.
A.A Mole University
B.A London Institute of Applied Research
B.Sc Millard Fillmore
M.A International Institute for Advanced Studies
Ph.D London Institute of Applied Research
Ph.D Millard Fillmore