Utility of three unaccredited doctorates
Any experiences with/opinions on the utility of doctorates at the three following unaccredited universities:

1. Rushmore University
2. Breyer State University
3. Atlantic International University

www.rushmore.edu
www.breyerstate.com
www.aiu.edu
I won't comment on the specific.
In general terms,though, you have 2 ways out:
1 you disclose the unaccredited nature of your degrees
2 you keep silent about it and just list them
I if you disclose their nature, you won't probably get credit for them (E.G job )
II if you don't disclose their nature, you may get lucky...they may find later and hold you accountable, though.

Quality?
in general terms it's difficult to say.
ALL unaccredited 'schools' make it sound like they are the 'freedom-in-academia' version of Harvard, which is never the case.
There are 'pay and run' schools and schools trying to impart teaching of varying quality; very few unaccredited schools have been reported to be accepted for further studies at other now accredited -but formerly unaccredited- institutions.
These unaccredited outfits may be cheaper than conventional schools, but still remember the value of the certificates will be a matter of individual appraisal, with no 'legal' weight universally accepted.
If you asked about utility, it may mean you count on them being useful or need them to be useful (E.G you're not the CEO who wants a degree for vanity or self-study reasons ), so think twice.
A.A Mole University
B.A London Institute of Applied Research
B.Sc Millard Fillmore
M.A International Institute for Advanced Studies
Ph.D London Institute of Applied Research
Ph.D Millard Fillmore
Degreediscussionsucks Wrote:Any experiences with/opinions on the utility of doctorates at the three following unaccredited universities:

1. Rushmore University

www.rushmore.edu
www.breyerstate.com
www.aiu.edu

Other important factors regarding the relative acceptance of a non accredited doctorate are:

1. Is the university licensed by the state it is based in. If yes, what state? (very important)

2. What is the reputation of the school? Some unaccredited schools have a reputation of providing a decent education and some don't.

3. Does the person with the unaccredited doctorate hold other degrees from RA, NA or foreign accredited universities, That satisfy professional or position requirements?

If 1 to 3 above apply, the unaccredited doctorate may be taken into account by employers for a higher position or higher salary. It will also add prestige to an already established professional or a CEO.
Commenting on the three universities, I would say that probably Rushmore's degrees may have some utility in the business world.

I know nothing about Atlantic International, but if someone had to choose between Atlantic and Breyer, I'd say that Atlantic would be a much better choice.

This has nothing to do with the value, or lack of it, of the education provided by these entities, it has more to do with public perceptions and the way these schools have conducted themselves over the past few years.

Take for instance Breyer State. Some people - particularly its graduates - insist that BSU's programs are good and of an acceptable standard. Others - particularly at some degree forums - claim that BSU is a degree mill that sells degrees and doesn't provide any education. These people however have never provided a shred of evidence that this is so.

I think though that the BSU people are themselves responsible for their bad reputation. They operated for years without a state license using a loop in the Idaho laws. Then, they operated for a while under an Alabama license (not a good state for a school to be licensed in). Then, they lost their Alabama license through sheer stupidity on their part, as all they had to do to maintain it was to stop offering self design degrees and to add general education courses to their bachelors programs. And, worst of all, they have been claiming all along accreditation from "accrediting" agencies which is more than obvious they have set up themselves.
I have a slightly different but related question - or rather two questions.

1. In the posters' experience/opinion, what is the utility of doctorate degrees obtained at the time currently NA universities were still unaccredited?

2. And, what is the utility of doctorates obtained from NA universities after they received their accreditation, but are not included in the accredited degree programs? I mean doctorate programs that started when the school was still unaccredited, but were completed after it received accreditation
Someone Wrote:I have a slightly different but related question - or rather two questions.

1. In the posters' experience/opinion, what is the utility of doctorate degrees obtained at the time currently NA universities were still unaccredited?

2. And, what is the utility of doctorates obtained from NA universities after they received their accreditation, but are not included in the accredited degree programs? I mean doctorate programs that started when the school was still unaccredited, but were completed after it received accreditation

As soon as we discover the utility of a DETC doctorate then the questions might have an answer. I suspect the utility might be the same. There are endless people teaching at universities having earned degrees from subsequently accredited schools. Didn't the Union Institute take something like 15 years to receive accreditation? That hasn't stopped many of those graduates from teaching at RA schools.

I entered a DETC doctoral program 6 months after the school was accredited having been grandfathered through my masters program. Let's try to figure that one out. Let's not.
Degreediscussionsucks Wrote:Any experiences with/opinions on the utility of doctorates at the three following unaccredited universities:

1. Rushmore University

www.rushmore.edu
www.breyerstate.com
www.aiu.edu
Hi
I just saw your question.  I got my degree from BSU.  Their tuition costs are the lowest. They did follow the distance-learning university processes; they wanted transcript from my college, had me prove the expertise in my required field, had me take doctoral philosophy course, doctoral dissertation courses, ph.d. dissertation proposal, gave me exams, and graded them. I had a British professor as my advisor; he almost ripped me apart when i submitted my first draft dissertation.  On the whole, I am satisfied.
silverfox Wrote:

1. Rushmore University

www.rushmore.edu
www.breyerstate.com
www.aiu.edu
Hi
I just saw your question.  I got my degree from BSU.  Their tuition costs are the lowest. They did follow the distance-learning university processes; they wanted transcript from my college, had me prove the expertise in my required field, had me take doctoral philosophy course, doctoral dissertation courses, ph.d. dissertation proposal, gave me exams, and graded them. I had a British professor as my advisor; he almost ripped me apart when i submitted my first draft dissertation.  On the whole, I am satisfied.

Hello all,

me too I had my BSc in IT.Almost the same procedures as like Silverfox.They asked me official transcripts,advisor,exams,assigments( a lot of corrections on them) :p I have also an experience from pennfoster (DETC accredited)...no difference, I can say that BSU staff helped me more, and they were answering in 24H not as like penn foster that it could take even 3-4 days in order to answer me!
silverfox Wrote: I got my degree from BSU.  Their tuition costs are the lowest. They did follow the distance-learning university processes; they wanted transcript from my college, had me prove the expertise in my required field, had me take doctoral philosophy course, doctoral dissertation courses, ph.d. dissertation proposal, gave me exams, and graded them. I had a British professor as my advisor; he almost ripped me apart when i submitted my first draft dissertation.  On the whole, I am satisfied.

Hey Silverfox -

Don't know if you're still out there but let me ask, have you found utility and acceptance of your BSU PhD?

Thanks!
ShotoJuku  +
Here's a twist to the original post.....

Although ALL degree mills are unaccredited, it can be said equally that NOT ALL unaccredited schools are mills.

Which of the following would you consider to be FURTHEST from being a mill and may actually provide some academic value?

BSU - www.breyerstate.com    
ACU - www.acuniversity.edu    
AIU - www.aiu.edu  
ShotoJuku  +