Sage advice from Steve Levicoff
Just when you thought that Levicoff had allowed his strange biases and bizarre lifestyle to overtake whatever commonsense he may still have, Lev posted an intelligent response to a question posted by a newbie at DD.

DD thread with comments by Steve Levicoff

I do agree with some of Lev's comments, namely:
1) choose an online program of a B&M school over an online only school,
2) the East Three (TESC, COSC, Excelsior) have stood the test of time and built decent reputations equivalent of many 3rd and 4th tier B&Ms,; AND
3) if you are going to obtain a graduate degree then the reputation of your undergrad school is not as critical since prospective employers will be looking primarily at your graduate program.
Levi-jerkoff isn't qualified to offer sage advice on anything other than removing fecal matter from one's genitals. You can summarize anything he says in four words: Do what I did. The clones would have us believe the Easy Three are some sort of mail order Harvards, when in fact you can't get into a lot of quality grad programs with their feeble degrees. The guy is driving a truck, for chrissakes, something any high school dropout can manage, and probably a lot better than an overeducated butt pirate.
Quote:I do agree with some of Lev's comments, namely:
1) choose an online program of a B&M school over an online only school

The University of London offers both B&M and DL programs.
Regulations require that diplomas bear the appropriate mention when obtained via DL...
Another mention shall be added to the diploma claiming that according to UK law both B&M & DL degrees meet the same standards...
Nonsense if you ask me.
The problem is that the B&M clique may be willing to exploit the DL market niche but is this far unwilling to state without double talk and small print that B&M and DL are one and the same thing even when THEY grant both.
I understand how dangerous it might be if parents and people were told that B&M & DL are the same...great danger for the contracts worth billions in building, consulting, security, sport & other paraphernalia.
Hey! DL is a great way to end college shootings...
A.A Mole University
B.A London Institute of Applied Research
B.Sc Millard Fillmore
M.A International Institute for Advanced Studies
Ph.D London Institute of Applied Research
Ph.D Millard Fillmore
Little Arminius Wrote:Just when you thought that Levicoff had allowed his strange biases and bizarre lifestyle to overtake whatever commonsense he may still have, Lev posted an intelligent response to a question posted by a newbie at DD.

DD thread with comments by Steve Levicoff

I do agree with some of Lev's comments, namely:
1) choose an online program of a B&M school over an online only school,
2) the East Three (TESC, COSC, Excelsior) have stood the test of time and built decent reputations equivalent of many 3rd and 4th tier B&Ms,; AND
3) if you are going to obtain a graduate degree then the reputation of your undergrad school is not as critical since prospective employers will be looking primarily at your graduate program.

Armando Ramos Wrote:Levi-jerkoff isn't qualified to offer sage advice on anything other than removing fecal matter from one's genitals.  You can summarize anything he says in four words: Do what I did.  The clones would have us believe the Easy Three are some sort of mail order Harvards, when in fact you can't get into a lot of quality grad programs with their feeble degrees.  The guy is driving a truck, for chrissakes, something any high school dropout can manage, and probably a lot better than an overeducated butt pirate.

ham Wrote:
Quote:I do agree with some of Lev's comments, namely:
1) choose an online program of a B&M school over an online only school

The University of London offers both B&M and DL programs.
Regulations require that diplomas bear the appropriate mention when obtained via DL...
Another mention shall be added to the diploma claiming that according to UK law both B&M & DL degrees meet the same standards...
Nonsense if you ask me.
The problem is that the B&M clique may be willing to exploit the DL market niche but is this far unwilling to state without double talk and small print that B&M and DL are one and the same thing even when THEY grant both.

My comments were hardly unqualified praise for Levicoff, who I recently described as one of the biggest underachievers of whom I've ever heard. Some idiot at DI recently commented that he admired Levicoff's unwillingness to get caught up in the politics of teaching at the university level and he respected Levicoff's decision to be involved in the transportation industry. Now that guy is a dick! Let's remember that he's the same clown that said he looks at Jesus Christ, Julio Cesar Chavez and Gregg DesElms as his role models. In any event, his comments were wrong on several levels. Levicoff was never going to get a tenure-track teaching position at a major research university. Sad

Let's look at this point-by-point. All other things being equal, why wouldn't you want to enroll in a DL program with a school that also has a B&M presence? I have done just that with my nearly-completed masters from South Dakota State University.

I stand by my assessment of the Easy Three. They are the equal of many 3rd and 4th tier RA B&M schools by reputation (earned over a 30+ year period) and the education you received while compiling enough credits to earn a degree is based on what you put into it. Of course, if your transcript is filled up with bullshit like FEMA credits (take note pugbelly and Sowak777) then your diploma is, well ..., bullshit and grad schools and employers will treat it accordingly.

If I had basically compiled an undergrad degree, I would look to enter a master's program right away so the grad program would be my key credential, not the bachelor's degree. I can't disagree with Levicoff on that, either.

Finally, the U of London thing is complete bullshit on the part of the university. If you successfully passed their exams and other degree completion requirements, how are they justified in creating a two-tier system with respect to diploma issuance? If I earned a U of London degree, I wouldn't bring attention to the fact that it was earned by DL. I'd provide copies of the diploma if asked and have copies of my transcripts sent, if required, but I would not highlight the DL nature of my coursework.
Quote:Finally, the U of London thing is complete bullshit on the part of the university. If you successfully passed their exams and other degree completion requirements, how are they justified in creating a two-tier system with respect to diploma issuance?

I was addressing the point of getting a DL degree from a B&M school being 'better' than getting one from a school operating only at a distance.
I once asked an Athabasca faculty member to write an academic letter, which he did on AU's letterhead. Well, he went like: I am doctor John Smith, professor of whatever with Athabasca University. Don't you think it's enough? Not for him...he later added TWICE the reference to 'distance' and 'online' courses. And he was pretty enthusiastic (=I didn't ask the 'wrong' person ) and laudatory. But I ask: he had already mentioned (on letterhead ) he was with AU, but why did he feel compelled to stress my postgraduate courses were online and distance ones?
There still is this sort of feeling of 'shame' or 'underachievement' even from people who work with fully accredited DL institutions; many (most?) still think that an A+ with a top, fully accredited distance school ought to be better exchanged for a B or a C with a third-tier B&M school.
Now, a teacher at some rotten, filthy community college plagued by minority gang warfare would NEVER mention the 'standing' of his school...( I am doctor John Smith, professor of diversity at Wetback college, the nation's third highest crime rate institution ).
A.A Mole University
B.A London Institute of Applied Research
B.Sc Millard Fillmore
M.A International Institute for Advanced Studies
Ph.D London Institute of Applied Research
Ph.D Millard Fillmore