Diploma Mill on "King of the Hill"
Now that "King of the Hill" has moved to Adult Swim on late night Cartoon Network I find myself watching it more and more. Anyway, last night's episode was actually about Peggy being conned by a diploma mill.

Epsiode: The Substitute Spanish Prisoner (6th Season)
Peggy takes an online I.Q. test sponsored by the "Intelligence Institute of Texas," and is declared a genius. When the head of the Institute, Dr. Vayzosa, offers her a chance to get a PhD for only $900, she uses the family savings to pay for it. When Luanne takes the online I.Q. test and also scores as a genius, Peggy realizes that she has been conned, and she comes up with an elaborate sting to get the money back. (Amazon.com)

What the epsiode description doesn't point out: After Peggy took the test and scored "genius" she is prompted to buy a few books that will be sold at the convention held at the Hotel Arden. The "Dr" pulls her aside and convinces her to buy the PhD package. After one night of listening to audio tape lectures and doing a few workbooks Peggy gets to the bottom of the box where she finds her diploma which by the way she has to write her on name on. The other kicker, typical of diploma mills, is in the scene where Peggy goes to the "Institiute". It show's her holding up a picture of what looks like a university campus. As she pulls the picture away we discover it's actually a hotel.

***Side Note: The "Dr" was voiced by Jeff Goldblum... perfect choice IMO***
'Spanish prisoner' swindles are known since the XVII century...maps to supposed treasure islands or other 'spanish' treasures were sold to gullible buyers, supposedly stolen from/inherited from/bought from a 'Spanish prisoner'...and we all know Spain was the wealthiest country back then.
A.A Mole University
B.A London Institute of Applied Research
B.Sc Millard Fillmore
M.A International Institute for Advanced Studies
Ph.D London Institute of Applied Research
Ph.D Millard Fillmore
ham Wrote:'Spanish prisoner' swindles are known since the XVII century...maps to supposed treasure islands or other 'spanish' treasures were sold to gullible buyers, supposedly stolen from/inherited from/bought from a 'Spanish prisoner'...and we all know Spain was the wealthiest country back then.

Isn't that how John Bear got Rich Douglas his Union Ph.D.?
Brian Crawford Wrote:Isn't that how John Bear got Rich Douglas his Union Ph.D.?

Bear didn't ante up cash. He paid with his credibility.
ham Wrote:'Spanish prisoner' swindles are known since the XVII century...maps to supposed treasure islands or other 'spanish' treasures were sold to gullible buyers, supposedly stolen from/inherited from/bought from a 'Spanish prisoner'...and we all know Spain was the wealthiest country back then.

Thats kind of like those email scams from Africa we all get, the ones that read like

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Dr XXXX, former minister of Finance from the Republic of (insert name of African country here). I represent several investors who are looking for sponsors to assist us in locating... blah blah blah

Believe it or not people actually believe that crap...
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I saw that episold for the first time last week. It was funny as hell.
Peg may be a ditz but you got to admit, she got the last laugh of that scam artist.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walker: Hill's Plan Benefits Her Lib Pals, Not Students Don Dresden 4 22,593 08-15-2015, 11:52 PM
Last Post: dlandersson