Self-designed curriculum
As far as I know, most universities that provides degrees for “life experiences” are bogus.

Is this also true for universities that offer “self-designed” curriculums?

I do not have any particular university in mind at the moment.

The ones I have encountered though so far seem substandard even for unaccredited institutions. The only exception might be Rushmore. I haven’t quite made up my mind on that one yet. (The “dissertations” that I have been reading, and the books several of the students have cited as references, seem quite low-standard, but maybe it is possible to adjust that variable yourself, i.e. that you choose to read books that are of a certain quality and difficulty)

The question rephrased:

Are there any universities – accredited or unaccredited – that offers self-designed curriculums, and that also have some merit.

(The underlying reason for this question is that – at least in theory – a more or less self-designed curriculum may provide the student with a competitive advantage towards companies that are in need of some kind of specialization.)

The Open University offers OPEN degrees, which -right as the name says- can be assembled from just about ANY course: science, literature, etc...
Provided that one gets enough credits AND respects single courses' prerequisites (EX AA1000 must be taken before AA1001 or BB1000 cannot be taken if CC1111 has already been taken ), he gets the degree (B.A, honours or non honours ).
I'd never waste money on most unaccredited schools: they're too expensive for what you're left with in the end.
The idea of self-design is great and I've made every use of it with accredited schools.
A.A Mole University
B.A London Institute of Applied Research
B.Sc Millard Fillmore
M.A International Institute for Advanced Studies
Ph.D London Institute of Applied Research
Ph.D Millard Fillmore
If anyone comes across a program that will award a degree based on claims of life experience and expert knowledge alone and not requiring any proof to back the claims up, they should contact Quinn Taylor Jackson.